What to do if I have a friend who is an immigrant of about 10 years who entered legally but overstayed his visa?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a friend who is an immigrant of about 10 years who entered legally but overstayed his visa?

He has been working all those years but has not paid any taxes. According to the law introduced in the Senate, does he has to pay all back taxes before he can even apply for legal status?

Asked on April 18, 2013 under Immigration Law, Florida


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The new proposal is not a law yet. You must wait to see if it passes and any amendments get made. However, he may qualify for the DACA cases if he came before age 16. In addition, he may obtain a green card if he applies for a green card based on marriage to a US citizen. This must be a real marriage and not for evading the immigration laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption