If I’m from Germany and a legal resident on a B2 tourist admission, can I work any type of job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m from Germany and a legal resident on a B2 tourist admission, can I work any type of job?

I found a website called guru.com that offers small “jobs” on the internet. I haven’t signed up on there yet because I don’t know if I’m allowed to. If I would be allowed to do these jobs online (no real meetings) and get paid for them while I’m in the US. Of course I have a German address if that helps. Is it legal for me to do these jobs or is it considered illegal working without permit?

Asked on February 15, 2016 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you are not permitted to work or derive an income from work while you are in the US in B-2 status.  Doing so can compromise your future ability to enter the US or obtain any other type of visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption