Can I file a civil suit on a ex-friend for a cell phone bill that has not been paid?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a civil suit on a ex-friend for a cell phone bill that has not been paid?

The cost is over $600.

Asked on December 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you advanced the payment of the former friend's cell phone or had some other agreement that you would pay it with the expectation that the former friend would then pay you back, you have the legal right to file an action against him or her for the $600.00 that you have written about.

I would write that person a demand letter requesting payment of the amount by a certain date or in monthly installments. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference. If you do not get the response you desire, your option most likely will be to file a small claims lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption