Am I looking at jail time if I’m an employee who got caught stealing items totaling $620?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I looking at jail time if I’m an employee who got caught stealing items totaling $620?

I am having charges pressed against me. I was just interviewed by the market loss prevention guy and after an officer came and read me my rights before talking to me. he did not take me to the station but he escorted me out. he said ill have two court dates. I’m having two charges and one of them is theft by deception. Am I looking at jail time or since I have no criminal record just fines? I agreed to pay back the entire amount of the item that I took.

Asked on April 11, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Theft in the amount you describe is a misdeamor offense, so you could potentially face jail time of several months (but less than a year). Given a clean record and a willingness to repay, there is a good chance that you will not face jail, but some other sanction(s), like a fine, probation, etc., but to maximize your chance of getting the least penalty possible, hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you--it's well worth the investment. Also be sure to show remorse and contrition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption