If I’m 18 and today got caught shoplifting, is there any jail time for a first offense?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 18 and today got caught shoplifting, is there any jail time for a first offense?

The merchandise was below $200, which is a disorderly person’s offense. Is there any way that I can remove this off my record ? Lots tell me to hire an attorney to guide me through; I want to know if I am hitting some serious stuff?

Asked on December 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In NJ, if found guilty of a disorderly person’s offense you could receive up to 6 months in jail and a fine up to $1,000. Additionally, you will be sentenced to at least 10 days of community service. Further, a conviction can result in loss of employment, denial of student loans, an increase in insurance rates, having trouble renting a place to live, etc.
The fact is that anytime criminal charges are involved legal repsresentation should be sought. An experienced criminal law attorney can possibly get the charge dismissed, reduced or win an acquittal at trial. Right now you should consult directly with a defense lawyer in your area. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption