Can I file a claim against a school if my child suffered an injury which left a scar that I’m afraid won’t go away?

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a claim against a school if my child suffered an injury which left a scar that I’m afraid won’t go away?

My daughter cut herself on her face near her eye. She turned her head on a window that was open.

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, the school would most likely not be liable based on what you write. Liability, or an obligation to pay, comes from fault; fault is based on either a deliberate bad act (like punching someone) or unreasonable carlessness; there is nothing, however, unreasonably careless about opening a window--windows are meant to be opened. Without an unreasonably careless act, the school would not be responsible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption