What can I do if my neighbor is leasing out his house to a family that has children who refuse to stay off of my property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my neighbor is leasing out his house to a family that has children who refuse to stay off of my property?

I have asked them at least 7 times to not be skateboarding and riding their bikes in my yard and driveway but they continue to do so. Is there a release I can have the parents sign to avoid getting sued if they get injured or is there something else I can do?

Asked on February 13, 2016 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can do a couple of different things... or a combination, thereof:
1.  On property areas, post general 'no trespassing' signs in the areas around your house.  These are fairly inexpensive at any hardward or home improvement store.
2.  You can also send a certified letter to the family and the landlord.  It doesn't have to be an angry letter... just a simple:  'I do understand that children can be active and need outdoor activites, but this purpose of this letter is to formally request you to have your children refrain from entering my property as I do not want to assume the liability for an injuries that could result from their activities on my property. '  Send a copy of the letter to the landlord, with a similar note.  Basic idea is that you are not anti-child, you just don't want to be responsible for the actions of others who have not been invited on to your property.
3.  The last option depends on the layout of your yard and other areas and your city's zoning regulations.  If you can afford it, you can put up small fences or gates that impede their access into your yard or drive way.  This will further punctuate that the children are not invited onto your property.
These are probably the most direct and amicable options.  If it continues to be a problem, you can call the police and ask them to a issue a trespass warning to the parents and/or their children.  This is a little extreme... but if your diplomatic approaches are unsuccessful, then it may be a necessary step.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption