If I am an in-home care provider, can I leave my employment and just work directly for the person whom I have been taking care of?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am an in-home care provider, can I leave my employment and just work directly for the person whom I have been taking care of?

I have been an in-home care provider for the last 13 years. I have been an independent contractor the entire time but the company I work with wants to go to a full employment status. The issue that I have is that I have noticed a decrease in the quality of care provided by the office and, therefore, I don’t feel comfortable signing on as a full employee. My client, and his family, want to keep me on after the switch in employment status, but the owner said they signed a contract saying they could not employ me privately for a year after terminating care with them. Is this contract still binding with the reduced level of care and changes not in clients control?

Asked on November 29, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The contract between your employer and the client family is most likely still enforceable against them; for it not to be, the employer's behavior would have had to have been so egregious as to constitute a material (or important) breach of contract, which is doubtful, based on what you write. (I.e. even if you feel the level of care is reduced, if the client is still fundamentally getting the frequency and type of care contract for, this is no likely to be a material breach.) Furthermore, even if it may have been, if the employer disagrees, it will presumably take legal action to try to enforce the contract; even if the family would win, they'd have to be willing to be sued and to have to defend a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption