What to do if I was sued regarding an accident in which the police could not determine who was at fault?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was sued regarding an accident in which the police could not determine who was at fault?

I was in an accident a year ago. A motorcycle ran into my car. Nobody was given a ticket because the officers couldn’t figure out who was at fault. I fixed my own car because I do not have insurance. Now I have received a letter stating ” a civil-final judgment was entered against you in the amount of $25,834.29 as related to an accident that occurred. Your driver’s license has been suspended pursuant to the florida financial responsibility law”. I did check the DMV site and my license are suspended. Is this possible? Is this legal? What can i do to get my license back?

Asked on October 27, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your driver's license was suspended due to not having insurance.  In order to have your license reinstated, you should obtain auto insurance and provide proof of insurance to the DMV.

As for the judgment against you, it would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  If you are eligible to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which is straight liquidation, that debt will be eliminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption