How to protect your house regarding Medicaid?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to protect your house regarding Medicaid?

Instead of setting up an irrevocable trust (in my case, converting over from a revocable one) in order to protect your house from a potential nursing home stay in the future, isn’t it simpler and less expensive to just sign over the house to your children?

Asked on October 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There are several ways to protect your assets.  However, there are time limits regarding the transfer.  Therefore, you should not do this without counsel.  It should not cost that much to do so. 

You can transfer the property to your children, BUT retain a life estate in the property.  This protects you from the possibility of having your children sell the house from under you or from having their creditors come after the house.  However, with a life estate, if you wanted to sell the house and move, you would need your children's permission to sell the house.  Moreover, the value you would receive on the house would be the value of your life estate.  Your children would receive the remaining value. 

With few exceptions, the great thing about retaining a life estate is you can remain in the house until you die as long as the mortgage and taxes are paid.  



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption