What are my rights if I’m 99% sure that I’m the biological father of a child who is 14 years old now?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I’m 99% sure that I’m the biological father of a child who is 14 years old now?

It’s complicated by the fact that the mother was married to another man when the child is born and he is the legal father. About 12 years ago, I attempted to go and get a DNA test done and accept my responsibility and after initially agreeing to do it the mother and her husband eventually decided not to submit to the DNA test and told me to go away. A couple years ago the husband left the family and they are now divorced and I again want to get a DNA test done to affirm I am the father and possibly be in her life. Do I have any legal rights to get a DNA test ordered possibly? Do I have any rights?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to see if your plan of action is really what you want to do with respect to filing a petition with the court to deem you the minor's father. Assuming you file such a petition and it is granted where you are deemed the father, then you will be liable for future child support payments and possibly reimbursement to the man who was supporting the child which is yours.

What you have written about is something that you may not wish to open up until the child is an adult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption