Health insurance claims and bankruptcy

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Health insurance claims and bankruptcy

My insurance company had slow walked a insurance claim so long that I had to file it under bankruptcy because they were not paying. Now the insurance company is refusing to settle the claim stating it is not owed even though I pay them out of my paychecks to cover my medical bills What do I do?

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Iowa


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

1. File an administrative claim with your state's Dept of Insurance.  Number of issues: whether it is owed or not and slow walking the insurance.  I think your insurance is still owed but it may go directly to the trustee.

2. Contact your bankruptcy attorney and see what can be done.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption