He won’t move his stuff out, boyfriend. Can I change the locks? Can I sell his stuff? He moved 7 days ago to another house.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

He won’t move his stuff out, boyfriend. Can I change the locks? Can I sell his stuff? He moved 7 days ago to another house.

Can I change the locks, my boyfriend of 9 years, moved out 7 days ago only my name on the deed can I get rid of his stuff as he won’t take it since he has no where to put it.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You question needs a bit of sorting through.  First, I am not admitted in MN and strongly suggest you seek counsel in your area for a definite answer to your question.

Is the house yours alone?  In other words, did you purchase the house by yourself before he was your boyfriend?  That will help determine the issue about the locks. 

I would not just move his belongings in to the street.  Box them up and put them by the front door.  Then send him a letter by certified mail telling him to call and arrange to pick them up.  If he does not respond, send another letter.  If he still does not respond, Minnesota has statutes that apply to what is known as "abandoned property."  Ask the lawyer about getting rid of it according to the statute.  You do not need a legal battle on your hands over his things.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption