What to do if my husband is violatingour divorce decreeby not paying creditcards that he is supposed to?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband is violatingour divorce decreeby not paying creditcards that he is supposed to?

As outlined in the decree, he is responsible for 2 cards that we are co-account holders on. He is delinquent on both and now my credit is being hurt. I closed both accounts but they won’t remove my name until the balance is paid in full. How can I sever my financial ties to him (i.e. remove my name from the accounts forever)? How does taking him to court work and what will it accomplish? The total amount owed comes to just under $26,000, almost all of which was incurred during our marriage but Inever activated a card associated with either account.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have hinted here on what you think you need to do - take him to court - and I think that you are correct in your assumption.  He is in violation of the divorce agreement and the court order.  One is a breach of contract and the other is contempt.  If he is held in contempt then he can be fined or jailed.  Judge's do not like it when people disobey their orders.   You may ask the court to modify the divorce agreement and decree and ask for the money outright to pay the cards. Different courts in different states handle the matters differently.  It may be best for you to call your attorney that handled the divorce and speak with him or her about your options and what the outcomes.  God luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption