Having a B-2 travel visa and K-1 Fiance Visa

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Having a B-2 travel visa and K-1 Fiance Visa

So my fiance has a 5 year B-2 travel visa, we have applied for the K-1 visa and
waiting for the approval for USCIS. We are at the time for it to get approved
and should be any day now.

Well I just found out that you can’t travel outside the U.S. once you recieve
your K-1 Visa.

My question is,

If she comes in on the K-1 Visa but tries to use the B-2 Visa for the honeymoon
cruise, will she get denied?

Can she come in on the B-2 visa and not try to come in on the K-1 visa?

Should we hold off on going to the interview for the K-1 visa and go ahead with
the cruise and have her return to her country to obtain it? Will it flag her
down in the system?

My email is Vivisnakeeyesyahoo.com

Asked on February 25, 2019 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

She will not be able to use the B-2 visa once she enters on the K-1 because that will invalidate the K-1 which is a single entry visa.  However, now that she has applied for the K-1 visa and you are waiting for the interview, she may not be allowed to enter in B-2 status because of her intention to immigrate.  Is the honeymooon cruise going to ports of entry that are international?  When is the cruise scheduled relative to the date of her entry and your marriage?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption