Does a foreigner have the same rights as US citizen in a divorce?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a foreigner have the same rights as US citizen in a divorce?

I am a Syrian woman who married an American man 2 years ago in my country. I got a green card and traveled to live with him in CA. Now we are divorcing. Will my daughter and I have the right to go to an American court and have American law applied to us?

Asked on June 18, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You have a green card and are a resident of California.  So yes, American Law will apply to you and to your daughter.  I am assuming that it is your intent to stay her in the United Sates.  You need to seek some help not only for a divorce lawyer but from an immigration one as well.  Is your daughter a child of the marriage?  Was she born here?  If she was born here she is an American Citizen by birth.  You just have to make sure that your status is secure here and an attorney is the best way to go.  Good luck to you and to your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption