Harrasment Post Divorce

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Harrasment Post Divorce

My ex-wife files contempt motions if my alimony/child support check is one day late, or just if she feels like causing trouble. I live in another state. Every time she does this I have to miss work, lose at least a days wages, and spend considerable $$ on travelling to court. Long long can she keep getting away with this? My job is in jeapordy and it’s causing financial hardship. Can I file a harrassment charge and have her ordered to stop? Also, Can my alimony and child support be modified because of lost wages due to her harrassment?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Family Law, Connecticut


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you should do is get a divorce lawyer to represent you in court so that you do not have to continue traveling the long distance.

The lawyer could also take the proper measures to stop your ex-wife from constantly filing contempt motions that are probably unfounded. Having a lawyer will save you money in the long run.

The court will decide whether any actions should be taken against your ex-wife but you should consider modifying the support order to give you a certain amount of  time to send her the check since you live in another state and to specify how late you have to be before she can file a contempt motion against you.

Perhaps after you inform the court about all the hardship and inconvenience that you suffer, the court can also specify penalties that your ex-wife will suffer if she continues filing unfounded contempt motions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption