Can I do anything aboutharrassment if it’s already been reported but nothing’s really been done about it?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything aboutharrassment if it’s already been reported but nothing’s really been done about it?

I’ve been dealing with 2 immature co-workers for over a year now. One of them has brought “porno cakes” to work. One of the girls was reported and she was suspended for 3 days. Since then they have put up pictures on facebook of my vehicle, which shows my license plate, and one of the girls posing by it looking like she’s peeing on it. The other girl commented that, “She should have peed on her car because that’s the girl that hates us.” Another picture was of a co-workers car where one of the girls had her foot on the co-workers tire doing the peeing pose.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are being harassed because of your race, religion, sex, age over 40, or disability, you could bring an employment discrimination claim against the employer. However, harassment on other grounds is not prohibited by the employment discrimination law.

If they have hacked any of your accounts or stolen personal information or passwords, you may have a cause of action for that. If they have defamed you, or made untrue factual statements (not opinions) that hurt your reputation, you may have a cause of action for defamation. Otherwise, though, you probably don't have a legal claim--the law does not enforce respect or civility. You may need to take non-legal actions: take down your facebook page; if possible look for another job; etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption