What can I do about harassment at the workplace?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about harassment at the workplace?

My boss has called me so many derogatory names that I called HR; they didn’t do anything. I found out that the VP told them not to worry about it since we push each other to be better. I took a video of her cursing me out for no reason and now she’s trying to fire a personal friend of mine just because he’s a friend. I asked for a transfer but they denied it. So I then asked to be demoted, however they denied me again. Do I have a case?

Asked on April 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless these actions violate the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, you have no claim here. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes allowing unprofessional and rude behavior. The only way that you would have a claim is if your treatment contitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination. In other words, it is based on your race, religion, disability, age (over 40), gender, nationality, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption