What to do if had an at-fault accident in a rental car?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if had an at-fault accident in a rental car?

My primary insurance paid most of the bill. My credit card rental car insurance would not pay the balance because I did not return their claim forms in time. The car rental agency sent the claim to a “claims management company”, and tacked on another $250 to the bill for “administrative fees”. The bill included $500 deductible, 25 days loss of use @ $49/day = $1225, diminished value = $869.86 (25% of damage), and $250 for a total of $2844.86. I don’t dispute the deductible, but the loss of use and diminished value numbers both seem high, and the $250 is just an arbitrary amount tacked on. Is there any way to get these numbers reduced?

Asked on January 23, 2015 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can negotiate with them: you can let them know that you believe that these numbers are too-high and will not pay them, but will pay a lesser amount--and that if you can't come to an agreement, you'll refuse to pay, they'll have to sue you to try to recover the money. They don't want to sue--there's alwasy a chance of losing, and lawsuits cost money and take time anyway. You can probably get the number down to around $1,200  $1,500, which may be worth paying for you, since in a lawsuit, while you might get a lower amount, you also could potentially be held liable for the whole thing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption