What to do if an oil change service was done incorrectly?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an oil change service was done incorrectly?

I had a vehicle service for 1st oil change on our new vehicle. After they got done they told me the oil pressure light was on and to drive on it for a day to see if the light goes out. Got about 30 miles and I took it to a jeep dealership and they told me they installed the wrong oil filter. So I called jeep and jeep said it could cause damage to the vehicle but not certain about the later on in the vehicle life. The first dealership called me and they are going to tow it to make sure any damage wasn’t done. What should I do legal, should it ask for a new car?

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Business Law, Colorado


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to prevail, you must establish several facts:

  1.  That your car was damged;

  2.  That the damage was caused by the negligence of the party which changed the oil:

  3. The damges would be in amount to repair the damage.

Did the mistake total the car?  doubtful.  Are you entitled to a new car?  Doubtful.

You haven't established any harm nor damges.  The only damges referred to are the towing charged which shouldn't be your liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption