While an H1B transfer process is going on, can I work with my new employer as a volunteer/trainee without pay?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

While an H1B transfer process is going on, can I work with my new employer as a volunteer/trainee without pay?

My H1B got approved this year was on F-1 Visa previously and I am in the process of changing my job. I had few questions related to H1B transfer process, therefore, I am seeking your help. Could you please help me understand few things such as, at present how long is the transfer process taking? I understand that Oct 1st is when my H1B visa status gets in effect. So, can start working with pay for my new employer from Oct 1st while my H1B transfer is going on?If my new employer hires you for the H1B transfer services. How much approximately would it cost them to hire you for the services?

Asked on August 24, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You cannot work in any capacity until the petition for the transfer has been filed.  ONce it is, you can start working for the new employer after October 1, 2017.  If you want to obtain a price quote for drafting the H-1B visa petition, you can have your employer contact my office directly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption