If your job is about to end, what are the ramifications regarding an H-1 visa?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If your job is about to end, what are the ramifications regarding an H-1 visa?

I came to US about 18 months ago with an H-4 Visa; both my husband’s H-1 and my H-4 extensions were applied and received and will be good for 2 years from now. Meanwhile my company processed my H-1 Visa and I went to India about a year ago and got the H-1 visa stamped. I came back to the US 9 months ago with a job. My project is over next month. My H-1 visa is valid for another 2 years. What is the best way to stay in US and search for a new job with my H-1?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should start looking for a new employer with whom you can transfer your H-1B once the current job is over.  Once you are in H-1B status, you can easily transfer that status to another employer.  THe new employer would still have to file a H-1B visa petition on your behalf but you would not need to wait for the approval notice to start working; you can start working on the basis of the receipt notice.  If you are not able to find a job before the current one ends, it would be best for you to change status back to H-4 so that you do not have any out of status time (you are technically out of status at the end of the last day of your current job if you have not done anything to secure your status for the day after that).  If you then later find another employer willing to petition you for a H-1B, you can then do a change of status from H-4 to H-1B.  You would not need to get a new H-1B visa in your passport, since you already have one.  But the visa itself is not an indication of your status.  It is only valid for entry to the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption