UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


As a teenager in September of 1974 I was convicted of misdemeanor offense of Section 459/17b in California.Pursuant to provisions of section 1203.4 of the Penal Code the complaint was dismissed on 05/20/1985. I now live in Texas.Can I own a rifle/shotgun or pistol?

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can possess a rifle/shotgun/pistol in Texas as long as your were not convicted of a felony or a Class A misdemeanor involving your family or household, or subject to certain orders issued under the Family Code or Code of Criminal Procedure.

Since you were convicted under Section 459 of the California Penal Code and that has to do with burglary, I'd say that it looks as though you can legally own guns.

However, since I don't have all of the facts of your case, just to be sure you should consult with an attorney who is licensed in Texas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption