Guilty of criminal recklessness? What should I do? What could be the possible outcome?

UPDATED: May 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Guilty of criminal recklessness? What should I do? What could be the possible outcome?

Husband was intoxicated hanging out with our cousin my husband got a gun which is registered and our cousin tried to retrieve it and my husband accidently shot him 3 times. He lived the bullets gazed his shoulder, abdomen and shattered his femur bone leaving him to have surgery. They weren’t arguing and my husband has a clean record, he is a military man, hardworker but he does drink alot. They want to charge him with criminal recklessness class c felony.

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Under Indiana law, Class C felony is punishable by a fine up to $10,000 and 2-8 years in jail/prison.  The fact that this his first offense will of help and his alcoholism may well be a mitigating factor.  Also, if  his service record is clean that would be weighed favorably by the court.  But as you can see he's in a good deal of trouble.  You need to speak with a criminal attorney immediately.

By the way how do you "accidentally" shoot someone 3 times? 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption