What is the best method of effecting a transfer of guardianship?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best method of effecting a transfer of guardianship?

My wife and I are beginning the guardianship paperwork for our son. We would like to have my wife’s nephew take over the guardianship should something happen to both of us. Should we have the nephew included now as a co-guardian, or is should the guardianship be transfer by a Will.

Asked on June 22, 2011 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You understand that you and your wife are the natural guardians of your son and so I do not really understand what guardianship paperwork other than transferring it to your nephew now.  I think what you are trying to do is to plan for the future.  This is not the forum for that kind of planning.  It is too important a decision to give any guidance like this.  What generally happens is that the Will names the guardian of the child after the matter has been discussed with the potential guardian.  But there is so much more to plan like a trust for the child's benefit, etc.  Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption