What to do regarding an ex-boyfriend who defaulted on student loans that I co-signed for?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding an ex-boyfriend who defaulted on student loans that I co-signed for?

I know I can’t get out of it with the lender but I can sue him personally? If that is the case, what type of attorney should I seek out? Also, this occurred all transpired in a stae in which I no longer live. Should I find an attorney there or does it really matter?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You cannot escape your obligation to pay the loans, unless the lender chooses voluntarily to release you--and there is no reason for it to that, since all it would do is reduce its own chance of being paid. You can however sue your ex-boyfriend to recover the money you have to pay out on his behalf. You should be able to sue him in your current state's courts--they should have jurisdiction, since the injury is being done to one of that state's residents. You would definitely be able to sue him in whatever state he lives in, since those courts would have jurisdiction over him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption