What can i do if I performed a technical service for a state university over 6 months ago and have not yet been paid?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can i do if I performed a technical service for a state university over 6 months ago and have not yet been paid?

They acknowledge the debt but no payment. Can I sue?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have not been paid for services which you completed and the debt is past due--i.e. past when it should have paid--you may sue. Even if there was not a firm "pay by" date in your service contract or other agreement, since  the usual is payment within net 30 unless otherwise agreed to, with payment 6 months late, you would seem to have good grounds to sue; the acknowledge of the debt certainly works in your favor, too. For smaller amounts--say, $2,000 or less--you may wish to sue in small claims court and represent yourself (pro se), so as to avoid lawyer fees, which could eat up  much of what you could recover. For larger amounts, you would be well advised to retain an attorney and let the lawyer bring the action on your behalf. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption