green card through marriage

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

green card through marriage

I have recently married a US citizen and we would like to get started on the application process that will allow me to obtain a green card in this country. I am aware that we must fill out and send in both the 1-130 and 1-485 forms in order for the process to begin. Are we eligible for concurrent filling in our case? We have been in the country together visiting with his family for a few months and got married in the mean time. Am I able to, or do I have to stay in the country while waiting for approval? Is there any other important things that we should be aware of before we begin? How long would this process usually take with both forms being filed?

Asked on August 1, 2017 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you plan to file for the I-485 concurrently with the I-130 you will need to stay in the US for the duration otherwise the process will be terminated due to abandonment.  If you plan to do this on your own, be sure to read all the instructions very carefully.  If you are interested in an immigration attorney assisting you with the process, he/she will take care of the details and guide you.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption