green card renewal

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

green card renewal

Hi, I just today 3/2 found out that my green card has been expired for the past two
years, I don’t travel often at all so it never occurred to me to maybe check it. My
question to you is, since it has been expired for so long do I lose my status? Also,
what happens if you haven’t paid taxes for the last 4 years.

Please help…

Asked on March 2, 2017 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Not paying taxes for the last 4 years is significantly worse than realizing your green card has expired.  You do not lose your status as a permanent resident.  That status is yours forever, but you do need to either renew your green card or, if you are eligible for citizenship, apply for citizenship.  In either case, you should bring yourself current on the tax return filings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption