Green card

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Green card

Hey I’m a permanent resident living abroad.
How long does it take if I apply for my spouse’s
green card after marriage. And does the
application affect the application of H-1 visa If
permanent residence hasn’t been granted.

Asked on March 13, 2016 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

FOr a spouse of a permanent resident, the process takes about 2-3 years to get a green card/immigrant visa.  It does not affect H-1B since H-1B is a dual intent visa.  If you are a permanent resident living abroad, however, you may lose your status of permanent residence through abandonment if you are outside the US for too long, without showing sufficient ties to the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption