How to grant a power of her attorney to a relative in China for a real estate transaction?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to grant a power of her attorney to a relative in China for a real estate transaction?

My mother-in-law owns a condo in China that will be torn down to build a highway.She would like to grant her son, in Shanghai, power of her attorney to represent her in its sale to the Chinese government. What type of form does she need to complete? We assume she would need to take it to the Chinese embassy.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best thing to do is talk with the Chinese Embassy and an attorney in Shanghai.  An attorney located in the U.S. who handles land use matters in China with foreign nationals may be helpful, as well.  The problem is every government is different in terms of what it considers to be proper documentaation for representation purposes (whether it is a letter of representation or power of attorney).  Only an attorney who handles land use matters in China would be helpful. The Chinese Embassy may be able to give you lists of contacts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption