What happens to a person’s estate when they die without a Will?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to a person’s estate when they die without a Will?

I just got a visit from a police officer. He informed me that my grandma died this evening; she drowned in her pool. She wasn’t married and her only son, my dad, also passed away a couple years ago. What happens if she didn’t write a Will? I am 1 of her 3 grandkids and only 2 of us live here in the US. What happens to her belongings and her house?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Grandmother dies without a Will then she is said to have died "intestate" and the intestacy statutes in your state will apply.  Some one needs to be appointed as the personal reppresentative of her estate. From my understanding of your state staute you and your siblings will inherit equally from her estate.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption