got served with a subpeona to go to my boyfriends domestic dispute trial.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

got served with a subpeona to go to my boyfriends domestic dispute trial.

got served with a subpeona to go to my boyfriends domestic dispute trial, well his lawyer didnt take the lesser settlement thinking i wouldnt show but the paper says if i dont they will issue a warrent for my arrest.. my boyfriend says his lawyer told him if i dont go the case will be dropped and he said if i do go i need to move out. his lawyer apparently told him she would advise me not to show and that nothing will happen. i dont believe that, i think they’ll arrest me. well i dont want to get arrested and i dont want to move, what do i do?

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't think that his lawyer told him that she would advise you to disregard the subpoena.  She could easily find herself in a lot of trouble for doing that, and from your question, it looks like she didn't actually do that.

Either way, she's your boyfriend's lawyer, not yours.  Your best option is to talk to a lawyer of your own, for independent and reliable advice after you give her or him all the facts of the case.  One place to look for counsel is our website,

I'm not sure why you're mixed up in this, if the dispute that's in front of the court isn't between the two of you.  If it is, he has no business threatening you about this, and either way, you need your own advice, since either way, you can't entirely trust your boyfriend because you have too much at stake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption