What should I do if I got into a car accident yesterday?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I got into a car accident yesterday?

The person who was at fault hit me at the traffic light. My car has damages. We agreed to handle all repairs without police (now I regret). I took a picture of their insurance policy, plate number, have the driver’s cell# (insurance policy is under different name). I reported to his insurance and started a claim. At fault person didn’t respond yet to the insurance. I called him and he said that insurance didn’t contact him; called the police after accident to make a report, they said it’s too late. Should I just wait on the insurance to handle it? Can I drive my car or need to wait for the estimate first? What if the driver will nor respond to his insurance at all? What would be my next step? Go to the local court?

Asked on October 27, 2013 under Accident Law, Connecticut


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have not already, you need to report this accident to your own insurance company.  They should be willing to go to bat for you with the at-fault driver's insurance because if the at-fault driver's insurance doesn't pay, your uninsured motorist coverage will kick in, and your insurer will have to go after the other insurance to get reimbursed.  You can drive your car so long as it is safe to do so.  You may eventually need to sue the person who was at fault, but first give the insurance companies a crack at sorting it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption