What to do if I got charged with underage consumption, the cop left, then came back and forced me to let him change the citation?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got charged with underage consumption, the cop left, then came back and forced me to let him change the citation?

He wrote down the wrong ordinance code on it, he wrote it for DUI, and then gave me no choice but to let him change it to underage consumption after he came back about a hour after originally writing it, said he had to change it because he messed it up, and he had already threaten’d to take me to jail for disorderly conduct earlier that night when I wasn’t being disorderly, can I get the charges dropped if I provide a picture of the citation before he altered it compared to it now?

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get the underage consumption of alcohol charge against you resolved is for you to consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you with the matter.

The alteration of the citation that you have written about should have no impact with respect to the charge against you for the simple fact that an arresting officer under the law has the ability to amend the report/citation for the district attorney's office to file charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption