Got charged with POSS CANNABIS/20 GRAMS OR LESS, I hav e a clean record. What can happen?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Got charged with POSS CANNABIS/20 GRAMS OR LESS, I hav e a clean record. What can happen?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Possession of 20 grams or less of marijuana is a First Degree Misdemeanor.  A first degree misdemeanor has a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine.  

Since you are a first time offender, you will probably get probation.  If you are lucky you will be offered something known as "diversion", which if successfully completed will leave you with the ability to clear your criminal record via "expungement".

But we might be getting ahead of yourselves here.  Since this can be a very fact sensitive area of the law possibly a technicality was breached and the charge can be dismissed.  You really should consult with a Florida attorney on all of this. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption