What to do if my husband did not have my name removed from a loan and now he is going bankrupt?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband did not have my name removed from a loan and now he is going bankrupt?

My name is listed on the loan. He was supposed to remove my name and did not. I do have documentation that the property is his our marriage settlement agreement, divorce decree and notarized letter, that I am not financially obligated to the loan. He filed bankruptcy on the property mortgage loan company. Can they come after me? How can I protect myself from him not removing me from this loan? I even tried sending the documentation to have my name removed and was denied. I am also listed as a creditor in his bankruptcy paperwork. What can I do?

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The only recourse you have here is against your husband for breaching the agreement between you.  The bank was not a party to the divorce and they are not bound by the agreement you made.  So yes, they can come after you.  He listed you as a creditor because he knows that you can come after him based upon the agreement.  Seek legal help as soon as you can.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption