If I have a pre-trial regarding careless driving, do I need a lawyer?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a pre-trial regarding careless driving, do I need a lawyer?

Just what is a pre-trial anyway? Will I get to talk to the judge about my case and possibly get judgment then and there? What happened was, I had a traffic violation for careless driving. It was an honest mistake and I have had a clean driving record for 20 years. With this charge, there is a threat of jailtime if I’m found guilty. I pled “not guilty” at the arraignment because of this, however I am willing to plead “no contest”if it just ends this without jail.

Asked on October 23, 2014 under Accident Law, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would seriously consider hiring an attorney.  A pretrial or preliminary hearing is held after the arraignment where one pleased not guilty.  It is before a judge not a jury and the judge will determine whether there is enough evidence to force the defendant to stand trial. I would get help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption