How do I go about getting paid for a summer’s worth of babysitting?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting paid for a summer’s worth of babysitting?

I have been babysitting for a lady with 3 kids since for 3 months. She owes me $1020 now. How do I go about getting her to pay me? I stopped watching her kids and have been trying to get some money but apparently I am going to have to go another route.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

How horrible for you.  It sounds as if you can bring an action against her in small claims court for the money owed.  Did you have a verbal agreement?  That is a tough thing to prove but if you kept good notes on when you baby sat and for how long, etc. you could be okay.  Now, I am making certain assumptions here and I could be wrong.  The first assumption is that you are a minor (under 18).   If that is the case then your parents may have to bring the suit on your behalf.  If you are not a minor then you can sue her yourself.  Remember to name her husband if she is married becuase they are their children.   Speak with an adult.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption