Getting my money back from LLC

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting my money back from LLC

I became a member of LLC and my name is stated as the Registered agent in the LLC document. Myself and my co-member paid 30k and 70K respectively to buy a restaurant thru this LLC last year. Within short period of time I decided not to be part of the business and asked for the money from the other guy. He gave me 15k back so far and not paying the rest. I want to get out of the LLC as well as get my money back. I want to know what actions I can take?

Asked on August 18, 2017 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any right to the money back unless there was a written agreement (e.g. the operating agreement) stating that you could withdraw from the LLC and be repaid. Otherwise, once you invest in an LLC (or buy shares in a corporation, if it had been structrured that way), you are an owner of it, and just like an owner of a car or house can't require the seller to take it back, or force a co-owner to buy him out unless there was an agreement to so, you are stuck with your ownership interest and you  cannot get your money back. You are stuck with the LLC as much as a co-owner of house he or she bought with a significant other is stuck with the house even if the relationship sours.
If you do have a written buy-out agreement (or buy-out clause in an operating agreement), you can enforce it in court via a lawsuit if necessary; but without a buy-out agreement, you can only get out of the LLC if someone buys your share of it (or accepts it as a gift, if you are so desparate to get out that you'd give it away), and you can only get as much money for your share as someone, like your fellow member (co-owner) will agree to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption