getting married to my girlfriend on a tourist visa

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

getting married to my girlfriend on a tourist visa

Hello. I am a U.S. citizen 32 years old. I have a Colombian girlfriend who i have
been dating for about 8 months who i recently visited in January. She applied for
her tourist visa and recieved it in December. She bought tickets to come visit me
from March 19 through April 9. However yesterday we just found out she is
pregnant. I was already planning on proposing marriage to her but now I
especially want to. I want her to be able to not return to Colombia and be able
to have our baby here and begin our married lives here. However im not sure how
that works legally and if there would be any problems.

Asked on February 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is possible for her to complete the process within the US but it has to be carefully strategized so as to not to appear that she has preconceived intent at the time of entering the US with a tourist visa.  It is best if you consult with an immigration attorney regarding the specifics of your case.  Please feel free to contact me offline if you like.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption