getting kicked outta my apartment

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

getting kicked outta my apartment

My parents are filing a bankruptcy to get rid of their credit cards. My dad is the only one who is working and who has credit cards. my dad is still getting his income and he has enough to pay the rent for the apartment we live in. But i was wondering if we can still get kicked out of our apartment if we file a bankruptcy.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  Filing for bankruptcy protects you certain creditors.  When you file, you list those that are creditors so that they are on notice of the discharge of the debt, among other things.  With respect to the landlord, he is not a creditor that you are seeking to discharge a debt from if you are current on rental payments. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that your lease says that you are in default if you file BK.  Thus, you will not be evicted from the apartment if your dad filed for BK.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption