If there is no deed to a house that my husband built and we paid taxes on, doI have any right to it in a divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there is no deed to a house that my husband built and we paid taxes on, doI have any right to it in a divorce?

I am getting divorced after 20 years of marriage. The house is on my father-in-laws land but was built by my husband. When we got married we started paying property taxes in both our names for the last 20 years. We have no deed that I know of. We do have house insurance. Do I have any right to this property or will I be walking out of this marriage with nothing?

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to get legal help with this matter as soon as you possibly can.  You are going to have a huge fight on your hands to prove any ownership in this house - you or your husband for that matter - if the house is on another's land and has no designation of its own as to a block and lot, etc.  Paying all those things shows something but it may not add up to an indicia of ownership rights.  You father in law could state that you did those things in lieu of paying rent.  You say you paid taxes: does it have a separate tax designation? That could be a help.  Get really good advice here from a real estate attorney as well as a matrimonial attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption