How can I get a federal license for my business?

In order to obtain a federal license to start a business, a person must meet several critical criteria. While some details may vary depending on your particular situation and the type of business you are intending to operate, the general terms outlined below should give you an idea of what requirements you will be expected to meet in order to obtain your federal business license.

I have a home-based business. Do I need to get a license?

You may. The number of individuals who own or operate businesses from residences has expanded greatly in the last few years with the result that many communities require the work or the business to be licensed, regardless of the amount of revenue the home-based business generates or whether or not the business is a part-time or full-time enterprise.

What is a state license?

In addition to municipal license requirements, each state has its own system of licensing and its own restrictions, whether you work for yourself or for someone else. Typically, licensing is required: