What to do if a general contractor charges more then the estimate given?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a general contractor charges more then the estimate given?

A general contractor gave me a verbal estimate of no more than $1000 for work on my salon, and now wants to charge me over $3000, is there a limit to how much his estimate can go over without new approval? Even a rough estimate should have limits. He said he didn’t have time to get a better estimate from the plumbers because I was in a hurry.

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The presumed written contract that you have with the general contractor for the work of improvement controls the costs that you are to pay. If the written agreement states $1,000 then that is the amount you are to pay, nothing more, nothing less. If there is no written contract for the work of improvement signed by you, the presumably licensed contractor will have a difficult time justifying the charges against you as to what you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption