How do I go about garnishing wages to collect 2 month’s rent?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about garnishing wages to collect 2 month’s rent?

My rental property was managed by a property manager. My renters were forced to move by court order becuase we did not renew their lease. My renters failed to pay 2 months rent. My renter is a state employee.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is hard to give guidance on with out reading the court papers involved.  I am assuming that when they were sued for eviction they were also sued for the back rent owed AND that you were issued an award against them.  The award needs to be reduced to a judgement and generally stamped by the clerk of the court and filed (recorded).  Once recorded you can execute on it according to the laws in your state and you would issue a writ of garnishment to their employers.  You might need some help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption