Funeral responsibilities

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Funeral responsibilities

My mother passed away today and I don’t have any money to pay towards the funeral and my sisters are threatening to sue me because they signed with the funeral home to have a expensive funeral. Can they legally sue me to pay a fourth of the funeral? I didn’t sign any papers and I didn’t have any say in the

planning. S

Asked on January 30, 2017 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mother.
You are under no obligation to pay for the funeral.  Your sisters entered into a contract with the funeral home and they are liable in the event they breach the contract.
You did not sign any contract with the funeral home or enter into any agreement with your sisters to pay part of the cost of the funeral. Therefore, your sisters have no grounds for suing you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption