Fully paid condo in Florida condemned due to mold, can I walk away from it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Fully paid condo in Florida condemned due to mold, can I walk away from it?

Florida condo in 55 community is paid in full, no homeowners insurance.

It was condemned due to mold and not inhabitable.

Can I just walk away from it and let the condo association take it over?

It’s not worth the money to fix and sell.

Asked on September 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't. If you do, the HOA can sue you for any upaid fees or dues while continuing to hold you accountable or liable for such fees as they come due until and unless someone else voluntarily takes ownership (e.g. someone buys it after it has been foreclosed upon--if it ever is foreclosed upon--for unpaid taxes, HOA fee/dues, or mortgage). Similarly, if there is a mortgage, the lender can you for the money. You can never just walk away from property while insulating yourself from liability: others (e.g. the HOA or  bank) have to *voluntarily* agree to let you out of your obligations and not pursue you for any amounts due. This is not say that creditors will choose to come after you for amount owed for this unit--just that they have the right to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption