What are my rights to find out why I was fired?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to find out why I was fired?

I was hired as a full-time employee as a teacher’s assistant. My hours rarely reached 30 each week. I have been told that legally she should be paying me for 35 hours each week but not sure how the law works. I recently got married,, same sex marriage and was fired the day I returned to work. I know employers have the right to fire for no reason. However, I still asked 3-4 times for a letter that I no longer worked there, so that I can get health insurance, but the owner refuses to give one to me. Is there anything that I can do or do I have any right?

Asked on November 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, employers have no legal obligation to furnish an explanation of, or supporting documentation for, why they terminated an employee: they can fire you without telling you why, and don't have to provide a letter putting the termination in writing. The only exception would be if you sued them, such as for unlawful sexual orientation-based discrimiation (your state makes it illegal to discriminate against an employee due to his/her sexual orientation--based on what you write, you may wish to contact the Massachusetts Commission Agains Discrimination,or MCAD, to discuss this matter, since it is possible you are entitled to compensation), in which event, you could use the legal processes of "discovery" (written questions or interrogatories; requests for documents) to get the information and documentation you seek.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption